Tuesday 4 January 2011

Passage North

My first painting of the year. :)



Looks like I'm still sticking to watercolour-like effects. A definite nod goes to Stephanie Pui-Mun Law in this case: the patterns remind me a lot of her work. Another recent influence, I think, was the art of The Secret of Kells: again, gorgeous watercolour work. It's a medium I like very much but am intimidated to try out due to the messy, randomised approach I have in my paintings.

Photoshop, about 2h. Reference from a photo I took in Ioannina in November 2010.

Progress shots follow: I started with a radial gradient (yellow-to purple greys). Then I blocked in the mountains, put in a textured layer, drew some weeds and the boat, added some more mist-like patterns, defined the weeds; some curves adjustments, extra subtle texture layers and noise came in between.

4 comments:

  1. very beautiful, enchanted work :) and thanks for posting the progress

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh, i envy your totally subdued colour palette for this piece. And the use of texture just gives it a life of it's own. Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sam, glad you like. Keep the great works coming. :)

    ReplyDelete